pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: Then again

12 April 2016

Then again


Governor's Palace
Williamsburg, Virginia
23 March 2016

Years ago, the daughter asked me, "Have you ever seen a ghost?"

I saw a ghost in these gardens when I was 14.

So I told her the story.

I still believe I saw something uncanny.

Things happen in old places. I don't think the things that happen are necessarily sinister. Maybe echoes of a long forgotten past. In college, I lived in an attic apartment in an old house. More than once I awoke to the sight of a figure at the end of the bed but it was comforting more than frightening. As a kid I read a novel that posited ghosts might come from a parallel thread in time where the fabric of space is thin. I always liked that explanation.

A woman standing quietly in shadow.

A whiff of pipe tobacco.

The piping sound of a young child's voice from behind a closed door.

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Shakespeare got it.

Tech stuff: Taken with my Nikon D7000. I am smart enough to know that I don't know everything.
For the feed reader folk (because you don't see this on the blog sidebar): Talk to me: OutOfTh3Kitchen at gmail dot com. For information on this site's cookie usage, go here.

No comments: