pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: The good, the bad, the really exasperating

07 April 2016

The good, the bad, the really exasperating


Virginia from a train
23 March 2016

Mainly a rant, so enjoy the photo and move on.

So, I was in a relatively happy mood until about 3pm.

The phone rang and after I identified myself, a woman said, "This is Radiology. I am calling to schedule your scan."

And I replied, "What are you talking about?"

Friday night, after my last doctor's appointment, I got a brief rambling message from the doctor I'd seen that day who said he wanted to discuss something with me, not urgent, would be in touch. I was exasperated. I'd been sent home with self care instructions and the number for another doctor if stuff didn't improve. Also, Friday night, so there would be no news until at least Monday. That sort of deflated my sense that news had been good that day. So waited through the weekend. Heard nothing Monday and at close of business Tuesday, called the office to ask what he'd wanted.

"We'll message the office. Someone will call you," I was told.

Wednesday passed, no call, and today, with no explanation, Radiology calls. So, I called the doctor's office again, explained yet again what had happened. His nurse called me. The message she'd gotten had been completely incorrect, and I explained the situation for the umpteenth time.

"So," she said, not exactly politely. "What is your question?"

"Why I'm being sent for a scan for something that was never brought up in the appointment."

And I got an earful about "doctor never does anything without reason, blah, blah, blah."

To which I replied, "That's fine, but I need to know why I'm being sent for a scan that was not discussed with me during the appointment."

The underlying question is, of course, how do I know this scan wasn't intended for someone else and my name ended up on it by accident? That isn't exactly unheard of in the annals of medicine.

So, she said, "I'll message him and have him call you."

Which still hasn't happened. Sad, because I really liked this guy. So, if I haven't heard from him by Monday, I'm cancelling the scan.

And of course, I'm on tenterhooks again.

Sidenote: when I got to the doctor's office last Friday, my blood pressure was blow-an-artery-through-the-roof high. It was 30 pts. lower at the end of the appointment (I'd vented my spleen about the previous doctor) and since then (at least until 3 today) has been completely normal. And to think I was starting to worry I had high blood pressure, too! Nope, just angry about dealing with incompetents and a totally screwed up medical system.

Tech stuff: Taken with my iPhone6.
For the feed reader folk (because you don't see this on the blog sidebar): Talk to me: OutOfTh3Kitchen at gmail dot com. For information on this site's cookie usage, go here.

No comments: