pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: Past perfect

11 June 2014

Past perfect


Washington, D.C.
8 May 2014

I dream about this building and the one next to it. Like much of my early childhood, the dreams are mythic, sometimes portentous, and nothing is ever exactly as it should be.

Like life.

As I wrote last August, I had a dream a year ago that I was looking out at a road, crying with the relief of knowing I only had one more year of driving the daughter to and from school. Then I woke up and almost did cry with the realization that it was in fact two years.

And today, finally, I can say that I have only one more year of driving the daughter to and from school. The knowledge barely makes a dent in my consciousness. So much happened this year. So much happened in the last month (including putting on a dinner for 200). So much yet to happen in the next year.

I'm far, far too tired to think about it, let alone cry about it.

Tech stuff: Taken with my soon-to-be-replaced iPhone4.

No comments: