pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: From the 2

08 March 2014

From the 2


Looking west from Hwy 2
8 March 2014

On the drive home tonight, the son asked that we stop at our alma mater. So we drove down into Los Angeles, parked and commenced a brief trip down memory lane.

The spouse and I didn't really know each other well when we were in college, but we bumped into one another because of mutual friends. He is older than I am, so graduated before me, and I lived off campus most of my academic career, so was less involved in campus life and happily, didn't ever visit the dining hall after freshman year. Nonetheless, we met again a few years after I'd graduated, and eventually, we married in the campus chapel.

I worked in the library, and the spouse spent most of his college life in the building that housed the science labs, but for us both, every corner of campus carries a remembrance of things past. We peeked in windows and laughed about shows we'd seen in the college theater. Reminisced about seeing Patrick Stewart in the audience when we went to see a Gilbert & Sullivan production in the outdoor amphitheater. I pointed out the building where I was got stuck in an elevator, and we went to the place where I fell down a flight of stairs. The stairs are gone now, weirdly, erased from the hillside, though they are marked indelibly on my spine.

We took the kids past various residence halls in which we'd resided, and told stories. And we laughed.

For the most part, I enjoyed my college years. They weren't easy by any stretch. I came from a poor family, so I worked many hours while taking a full class load, which didn't particularly bother me. On the contrary, I was really proud of what I accomplished. But when college was done, I was ready to move on.

Even while we walked around campus, and I remembered the moments when I was flooded with that curious sense of "You Are Here," I felt a strange disconnect and the certainty that I really had moved on, decades ago. It's a recognizable piece of my past, a place that motivated me tremendously, but it is, quite firmly, in the past.

Tech stuff: Taken with my iPhone4.

No comments: