pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: Relief

28 February 2014

Relief

 
 
Orange County, California
28 February 2014

It flooded about two minutes into this downpour. The rain was coming down so hard, harder than I've seen in years.

I was happy.

Granted, we could have used a slightly less violent version of this (seriously, I emptied four inches of water out of one of my garbage cans about an hour later), and I'm sure the people in the burn areas would have been content with four inches over the course of four days.

This isn't without precedent. When we were living in La Canada in the mid-1990s, we essentially got an entire season's worth of rain in four days one lovely March. That won't happen with this storm system, but I certainly hope we get a few more storms as spring approaches.

Tech stuff: Taken with my iPhone4. Seasonal rainfall is about 12 inches--10 on the low end of the spectrum and 15 on the higher end, and every few years, we get about 45 inches. No really, that's an actual figure. I'm sure it doesn't sound like much in some places, but here in the desert, that's a lot.

No comments: