pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: Guns, cranes and the Vincent Thomas bridge

04 January 2014

Guns, cranes and the Vincent Thomas bridge


From the battleship Iowa
Los Angeles, California
4 January 2014

Since September, the daughter has been one of the crew working on a PSA for the It Can Wait campaign. The actual PSA premiered today in a small theater, so we had to be in Long Beach early this morning so that the daughter could see her work on the big screen. The woman who spearheaded the effort is an individual of tremendous energy and she had media kits made and is in the process of submitting the finished product to numerous festivals. Really, hats off to her, her daughter and the other teens who put the thing together. I know how much effort it took.

The spouse has been making hopeful noises about visiting the Iowa for a year or so, and since we were near it this morning, we made the trek over to wander around it. I've seen my share of battleships (Missouri after it was decommissioned; New Jersey while it was still in service); aircraft carriers, and destroyers, not to mention military aircraft; I come from a family with a lot of military service. The exercise is not what I'd necessarily term enjoyable, but it is instructive.

(Okay, so the time I got to fly the F/A-18 simulator was pretty fun. Also, instructive.)

The docents on board were pleasant and knowledgeable, and the spouse seemed to have a fine time adding to his military history.

A successful day.

Tech stuff: Taken with my iPhone4. Because the D7000's battery still isn't charged. Horoscope says that 2014 is going to be a wildly creative year, so I suppose I should get moving.

No comments: