pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: Dreadful cell phone photo #11

26 November 2013

Dreadful cell phone photo #11

 
Alice Cooper
Segerstrom Center for the Arts
Costa Mesa, California
26 November 2013
 
Years ago, I used to joke that you'd find me at a Rush concert on Thursday and then you'd find me parked in my seat at the symphony on Saturday. It actually wasn't a joke--we had subscription seats one tier up from where we were sitting tonight.
 
Because I'm a long time patron of this place, I get love letters, emails, and colorful brochures. Three days ago, I got an email, saying Alice Cooper! Segerstrom! Tuesday! And the really notable thing about this is that I've never even seen a rock concert advertised at Segerstrom. It's all musicals and symphony and stuff like that. So, I forwarded the email to the spouse with the notation, "Half-tempted..."
 
And I got an email back from the spouse that said, "Do it."
 
(What I have not been writing about is that a close relation has been diagnosed with cancer. It is a cancer with a poor prognosis. The family is in a tailspin. The last few weeks have been bad; we expect the next few weeks to be unspeakable. Distraction in any form has never been more welcome.)
 
So, I found 3 pretty decent tickets and bought them.
 
And tonight we went.
 
When I was a kid, Alice Cooper was notorious. Between the make-up and the rumors of horrible things taking place at his shows, he was high on the list of reasons I was not allowed to listen to rock music.
 
(We all know how that ended. Eventually, I got Pandora's box open.)
 
Of course, I knew his radio hits, and liked most of them. But it never really occurred to me to go see him perform because, you know, Alice Cooper. About 20 years ago, I read a feature on him in the Wall St. Journal and was introduced to Alice Cooper, businessman, which intrigued me. And then a few years back, we happened to catch his radio show while we were driving somewhere, and he mentioned that he'd just discovered baby mice were called "mouse pups." You could hear the bemusement in his voice. It was epic. He couldn't stop saying "mouse pups." My kids were rolling around laughing in the back seat and even today, all you have to do is say "mouse pups" to one of the them and they dissolve into tears of mirth.
 
We weren't sure what to expect tonight, but I can tell you we were entertained. Several times, I looked over at the daughter who was sitting with eyes wide, hands over her mouth, shoulders heaving with laughter (She loved the song "Caffeine.") Theater macabre, plenty of music; it was the distraction we needed.
 
So if you get the chance, catch Alice Cooper live.
 
And tell him the mouse pups sent you.
 
Tech stuff: Taken with my iPhone4. Yeah, it's time to get a new phone.

No comments: