pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: The day that you know is coming

23 October 2013

The day that you know is coming


Mile Square Regional Park
Fountain Valley, California
6 April 2013

Last night, I received an email. The news was unwelcome in more ways than one (and true to the spirit of the sender, wildly incomplete). But it was, in the main, unsurprising, because I knew that one way or another, we'd eventually arrive at this day.

The spouse walked in to find me sitting at my desk with my head in my hands, and he asked, "What?" I pointed at my monitor, and silently he read. Then he sighed.

Because we don't know the details, or what exactly the news entails, we've said nothing to our children yet. I've warned them both in the past that this day was coming. There are only so many ways one can say it without being totally morbid, but I've warned them. They are young; they've never had to deal with something like this. And when I tell them, it will change their lives forever. There is no way that can be avoided. 

We never know what form the future will take. We just know that it is coming.

Tech stuff: Taken with my iPhone4.

No comments: