pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: Science

13 February 2013

Science


Science project
4 February 2007

I haven't had to worry about science fair for two years. However, the photo of this project is instructive, to me anyway.

It was the first.

It went like this: the son had just had knee surgery and was still in an immobilization cast, so I spent a Sunday afternoon pouring concrete and planting little plants in fish tanks while he supervised. Then, of course, there was the hanging of the large hot lights intended to simulate the sun, logging temperature changes.

In the end, the son won a prize from the local chapter of the Audubon Society. But that's neither here nor there. The lesson is this: I was stumped for a photo to post, and went hunting through old folders, specifically for photos taken in February. Like a diary entry, a photo taken same month, x number of years ago. Learn something from it.

Six years ago, I was dealing with a kid who'd just had knee surgery. As I am today. Then, a kid who got Norovirus about 10 days after surgery. Today, a kid who got a virulent cold--the doctor said it wasn't the flu--about 10 days after surgery (and who has been home the last two, which she can ill afford in terms of time spent out of school). Then, a kid who had to run an experiment for an enormous part of his grade. Today, a kid who had to film all Saturday for a big project (and guess who got to supervise, wrangle a dog and provide traffic control? At least it wasn't the boom mike this time...or pouring concrete and planting 3 terrariums).

I want to say that nothing really changes (it does, I know), but honestly.

It occurred to me recently that I have two more years.

And then I'm free.

(as if)

Tech stuff: Taken with my Nikon D40.

No comments: