pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: Sundown in Santa Ana

13 December 2012

Sundown in Santa Ana


Santa Ana, California
13 December 2012

I spend an inordinate amount of time watching the sun set over Santa Ana. In the wake of this morning's storm, it was cold and windy (seriously!) and I'd forgotten my jacket in my haste to get out of the house. I think the chilliness of the day caught everyone by surprise because I heard a high school girl yell, "IT IS COLDER THAN A PAGAN'S [ALLITERATIVE BIT OF MALE ANATOMY] OUT HERE!"

I shivered waiting for the daughter to show up, and finally she did and we made our way back to the car.

She chattered while I drove, and I made affirmative noises as I successfully dodged pedestrians and bicyclists and other motorists. Someday, I will film the drive home from her school and you can see the chaos for yourself. Actually, that might be instructive.

As we neared home, I told her I'd been able to find her a pretty good Christmas present, and she immediately set to guessing the what, except that she substituted who. And for some incredibly interesting reason, she assumed that it included dinner.

She pondered, and as the silence grew longer, I finally told her, completely joking, "No, Rush is not coming to dinner."

"DARN IT!" she said with what sounded like genuine disappointment.

"You know," she said, chewing on her thumb, "you really should invite them to dinner when they are in town. You cook really well and they'd probably appreciate a good meal while they're on the road."

"I think they're pretty well taken care of when they're touring," I told her, trying not to smile.

"I know, but Mommy! A home-cooked dinner!"

Sweet girl. It makes me so happy that she sees possibility everywhere.

Tech stuff: Taken with my iPhone4. And no, she never did guess what her gift was. But she'll love it although it does not involve dinner in any form.

No comments: