pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: Santa Claus don't care

20 December 2012

Santa Claus don't care


Neighborhood display
Orange County, California
20 December 2012

I hear "apocalypse" and my brain automatically moves on to the next bit of business on my agenda. The world has been meant to end so many times in my life that I've long since ceased to pay attention.

And this occasion has been no different. 

Tonight I'd finished putting dinner together, and the spouse was, predictably, discussing the end of the world, when I asked, "So how exactly is it supposed to happen this time?"

The spouse stared at me in disbelief.

"Look," I told him, "I know the Mayan calendar ends, blah, blah, blah, but you know, do the spaceships come? Do we all just drop dead?"

He continued to stare at me for a moment, realizing for the first time just how little attention I'd paid to the talk of apocalypse. Finally, he collected himself and said quietly, "Meteors. We're supposed to be hit by meteors."

"Oh," I replied briskly. "Alright then. Dinner's ready."

And after dinner we went out and had a look at the local Christmas lights while the stars sparkled down in the cold night air.

Tech stuff: Taken with my iPhone4. Truly, I had no idea. And no, not my house. It's the house of an elderly man who clearly has way too much putting up decorations every year. This is only part of the display.

No comments: