pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: An end has a start - 2012

31 December 2012

An end has a start - 2012


Newport Beach, California
31 December 2012

When Out of the Kitchen was active, I ended each year with a recap of whatever struck me as important or amusing or hopeful. But OotK has ended, and for me, this was a year of endurance--and I don't mean that in a bad way. It was, quite literally, learning how to put one foot in front of the other. Again. And it was a year of just getting things done. A lot of that isn't very interesting. But I made it back to Europe, and the son got off to university, and we all put one foot in front of the other. By the end of the year--down to the wire, the last six weeks--it was time to look up and start looking forward.

An end has a start.

So no real recap this year. I managed two concerts which is one more than last year. With luck, that will increase exponentially in 2013. I did read a book published in 2012 and I loathed it. (Yes, it was Gone Girl, and I thought it was utterly asinine and I know I'm in the minority. So what?) I saw a bunch of movies, and read plenty of news that made me sad and furious, and occasionally something that made me happy and hopeful. I drove way too many miles. I did stuff with my loved ones and my friends, and made the best of what's still around.

I should have listened to more music. Music makes me happy against all odds. It is A Good Thing. I will listen to more music next year.

The last couple of years, I published photos of snow, but this year, the spouse had the idea to go to the beach late this afternoon. We got down there about an hour before sunset, and it was chilly but beautiful, and such a quintessential California Winter Day. It's rained quite a bit lately, but today the air was clear and sharp. I hadn't planned to take photos, but ended up taking rather a lot. There was a sea lion at the end of the pier, birds everywhere, creches in beach shop windows, and the biggest starfish I've ever seen on a beach, measuring at least twelve inches across.

Amidst all of this, we watched the sun set on 2012.

While the year is ending on a better note for me, it's ended terribly for others. It's time and past time to make some difficult choices about a lot of controversial subjects, and every single one of us needs to slow down and consider our own actions in all of our dealings with one another. Because I am, at heart, an eternal optimist, here is to a much brighter and kinder 2013, to smart decision-making and to love for us all. My wish for everyone continues to be that we come out shining on the other side. Thank you, as always, for spending time with me.

Be safe, be good, and remember to eat your black-eyed peas.

...with hope in your hands
and air to breathe

Tech stuff: Taken with my iPhone4. And go listen to some good music: "An End Has a Start" from the album An End Has a Start by Editors.

No comments: