pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: Making up for lost time

19 November 2012

Making up for lost time


Rush
Honda Center
17 November 2012

This is precisely why I don't spend a lot of time taking cell phone photos at a concert. At the end of the day, you get a really crummy photo! But I took it to send to the far away son who missed the tour this year and was sad. Let's see. This brings my lifetime photo-at-a-concert total to...six, I think.

It's hard to quantify exactly how stressed I was prior to the start of the show. Daughter--on crutches. Arena with lots of stairs. Not to mention she had to shoot a film Saturday afternoon, and since she was on crutches, I was enlisted to act as soundwoman, carrying the Zoom and the boom mike all afternoon.

Gah.

Anyway, I arranged it so we got to the arena early. And as luck would have it, guest services saw the daughter hopping around and they brought her a wheelchair, took her down to the floor and she hopped up to our seat in the sixth row of the section where we were sitting. And they promised to bring the wheelchair back at the end of the show (which they very responsibly did--in the middle of the encore. And as I didn't know exactly how much of the last song was being played, there we were, helping girl on crutches down the stairs--just as the final section was being played. So it goes.)

But! We got there and were in our seats for the start of the show. No one fell down any stairs.

As the show began, my heart was pounding so hard, it felt like it might burst.

For all the reasons I've previously mentioned, my concert-going activities have been severely curtailed. In June 2011, I was in so much pain, it was hard to concentrate on the show at all.

"It will be a long recovery," the surgeon said.

And it has been. But I'm back.

Okay, so maybe not quite where I'd like to be. And I know that's probably not going to happen. But enough that I could scream "The Anarchist" at the top of my lungs and not even think about the fact that my body was moving to the music.

That's a long way back, baby.

As shows go, it was pretty damned perfect. But this band always is.

And the daughter stood there and bounced on her crutches, and she and I sang together, and the spouse laughed at us, and the people around us looked bemused.

And it was good.

So good that I can't wait to do it again.

Hello, Houston.

Tech stuff: Taken with my iPhone4. Gleefully, I prepare for my life to once again become an out-of-body experience. In the best possible way.

No comments: