pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: The Temple

15 August 2011

The Temple


Temple of Dendur
Metropolitan Museum of Art
New York, New York
4 August 2011

When the daughter and I were at the Met in May, I made her speed through here on our first visit with the promise we'd take in the entire Egyptian wing at our leisure when we visited the next day. I make plans; the Met laughs. This entire area was closed off for no apparent reason the next day, and our Egyptian wing trip ended up being incomplete. I felt terrible because the daughter is passionate about Egyptology. So it was serendipitous that we returned just a few weeks later. The daughter and I abandoned the son and the spouse at the entrance to the Egyptian art and ran--okay, maybe we just walked very fast--to see if the Temple of Dendur was open. And it was, and we spent a blissful half hour examining it in peace with almost no other visitors in the area (they were all waiting in line for Savage Beauty).

Sated, the daughter and I went back and collected the spouse and the son, and tried to ensure they saw the highlights of the museum.

Tech stuff: Taken with my Nikon D40, available light, which happened to be abundant that day.

No comments: