pWdumaNjA-6CEEBhRoD5euxNETs When All This Actual Life Played Out: The evening of another day

18 May 2010

The evening of another day


Red Square
Moscow, then the USSR
October 1990

One of my favorite photos of all time, and sitting here, I find it hard to believe that it's been nearly 20 years since I took it. The spouse had been invited to speak at a meeting, and the significant others who had tagged along on the trip were offered a variety of cultural excursions. I think we'd visited GUM prior to venturing back out into Red Square to watch the changing of the guard, and I snapped this as the sun was setting, not really considering the irony that I was witnessing the twilight of the Soviet Union on that visit.

Tech stuff: Taken with an Olympus manual 35mm. This visit came six years after the first time I visited Moscow and what was then Leningrad, and the change was startling. When I was in St. Petersburg (formerly Leningrad) in 2006, it was nearly impossible to comprehend how the city could still look so much as it had in 1984 and 1990, and yet have bright neon Nokia signs flashing on the fronts of buildings.

No comments: